Couple burnt to death in Apapa (Photo)
Sunday Braimoh, a bouncer in a nightclub, and his wife, Morenikeji, were on Tuesday burnt to death in a fire incident at Olodi Apapa, Lagos.
According to sources, the fire started around 4pm after fuel spilled on the floor while one of the male tenants (name withheld) was fuelling his generator where a tenant was cooking.
The man whose jerry can spilled the fuel that triggered the fire, according to sources, has since bolted without a trace.
‘’The two victims cried out for help when the fire broke out but could not make it alive as efforts to rescue them proved abortive. They shouted and shouted fire! fire! help us!, but no one could go break into their apartment because the door to their room has a jam-key and was locked,’’ said another source.
It was learnt that the couple could not be rescued from the fire by neighbours because of the burglary protector behind the door to their room which prevented rescuers from opening the door to save their lives.The late Buraimoh, a bouncer at a night club in Apapa, is a native of Edo State while the wife, was an ex-footballer and trader.
A friend of the couple identified simply as Kazeem said the couple had been married for a while, until recently when Morenikeji became pregnant.
Kazeem said: “We usually spent time together every Sunday evening. So, as my boss, he sent me to fetch some water to take his bath around 3:45pm and I obliged him. He carried the water to the bathroom, and I was expecting him to join me outside later until I received the sad news .