Scandal! Group accuses military of looting, burning village
Residents of Ali Dawari Ward attacked by Boko Haram insurgents on June 7 have accused soldiers and Civilian JTF of chasing them away from their village and looted their foodstuff, livestock and other property, before setting the village on fire.
While addressing newsmen at a press parley yesterday, which was organised on behalf of the four village heads, Alhaji Bulama Goni Ali Dawari said all efforts to draw the attention of the Unit Commander of the soldiers in the area through the Chairman of the Civilian JTF failed as the Commander did not pick calls put through his phone thrice.
He said: “Later, about six people saw the soldiers and Civilian JTF in their logo vehicles with the loots from the village, passing through the only route to the community, as the village was in flames.” The residents also threatened to drag the soldiers and civilian JTF to competent court of jurisdiction if no action or compensation was paid to them.
According to him, as law abiding citizens, they have the right to seek redress over their belongings in which they expressed shock and surprise over what the security operatives did to the people instead of protecting them and their property.
The spokesman further said that when the incident occurred, the four village heads or Bulamas made frantic efforts to contact the Local Government Council Chairman, Abubakar Mai Deribe but who was said to have already traveled out the council.
Meanwhile, when contacted the APC Chairman in Jere LGA, Alhaji Baba Usman Alhaji advised the people to approach the Human Rights Commission and the NUJ to lodge their complaints. He said copies of their complaints had already been served the GOC 7 Division of Nigerian Army, Maiduguri; the Theater Commander, Operation Lafiya Dole, Garrison Commander, Maiduguri and the state Commissioner of Police, CP Damian Chukwu.