Minimum wage: Meeting with Labour not deadlocked
The federal government says that the meeting with organised labour on the minimum wage did not end in a deadlock.
The Minister of Labour and Employment, Senator Chris Ngige, said this in a statement issued in Abuja by Mr Samuel Olowookere, the Director of Press in the ministry.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the minister met with labour leaders who were part of the Tripartite Committee on the new National Minimum Wage to give them an update on government ’s position.
Ngige, who was reacting to some media reports, however, described the meeting as successful.
‘The meeting was, in fact, successful as both the Federal Government team led by the Minister of Labour and Employment and the leadership of the organised labour agreed to reconvene the meeting of the National Minimum Wage Committee on Thursday, October 4, 2018.
”This is to give enough time for the National Salaries Incomes and Wages Commission to round off the assignment given to it.
”As a result, labour agreed to reach out to its organs of leadership with the October 4th resumption date as demanded by its National Executive Council with a view to suspending the proposed strike,” the statement said.
Meanwhile, we previously reported that the leadership of labour movement in Anambra has directed workers to comply totally with the directive of the national leadership to embark on industrial actions due to commence on Thursday, September 27.
Labour in a statement signed by Jerry Nnubia, chairman, Nigeria Labour Congress; Ifeanyi Okechukwu, chairman, Trade Union Congress; and Jibuike Ikenna of Joint Negotiating Council, said workers should stay at home and await further directives.