#HowSaveIsUber Passenger sues Uber for rape by murder ex-con driver

A Kansas City, Missouri, woman is suing Uber, alleging that a driver who served prison time for attempted murder sexually assaulted her in January after dropping her off at home.

The woman alleges the driver took her to various locations that evening and persuaded her to let him use her bathroom when he took her home, according to The Kansas City Star.

She says she was intoxicated and he sexually assaulted her there.

The lawsuit was filed this month and also names the driver, Yahkhahnahn Ammi, as a defendant.

It says police are investigating the attack, but The Associated Press couldn’t immediately confirm that with the department.

The Star reports that court documents show the driver was accused of beating a woman in St. Louis last Christmas and that he spent eight years in prison for attempted murder.

The lawsuit is alleging that Uber should have known about Ammi’s criminal record.

It also alleges that Ammi should have not been allowed to operate an Uber vehicle in Kansas City, where the city’s regulators would have denied him a permit based on his criminal record.

The driver no longer works for Uber, though the nature of his departure is unclear.

An Uber spokeswoman told the Star that she couldn’t discuss the driver’s criminal record but that the lawsuit’s allegations are deeply troubling.

The driver doesn’t have a listed phone number and couldn’t be reached for comment by the AP.

A Kansas City woman has filed a lawsuit against Uber, saying a former driver with a criminal record raped her after driving her home in January.
The lawsuit, filed earlier this month in Jackson County Circuit Court, names as defendants both the company and the former driver, Yahkhahnahn Ammi.
Yahkhahnahn Ammi was arrested by St. Louis police on Feb. 21 and charged with assault. Now, a Kansas City woman has accused him of rape.
St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department
The suit alleges that Ammi, after driving the woman to multiple locations during an evening, talked his way inside the woman’s downtown Kansas City home while she was intoxicated and then attacked her. The complaint also accuses Uber of failing to act on earlier reports that Ammi had assaulted others.
Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/crime/article158907364.html#storylink=cpy

According to the lawsuit, the woman used the Uber app to hail a ride to a social event at a local graduate school on January 27.

She was picked up in a car driven by Ammi.

During the ride, Ammi asked the woman questions about her personal life.

The conversation progressed to the point where Ammi offered to pick up the woman and her friends after their social function.

The woman accepted his offer and asked him to drive her to her apartment so that she could change before dropping all of them off in the Power & Light District, Kansas City’s dining and entertainment hub.

Ammi then offered to drive the woman home at the end of the evening.

At about 1:40am, the woman, who was ‘obviously intoxicated and had a difficult time locating Ammi’s vehicle,’ according to the lawsuit, was picked up by Ammi.

He then dropped the woman off at her apartment and she immediately prepared to go to bed.

That’s when Ammi called her ‘multiple times’, the lawsuit alleges. When she answered, he told her he was standing in front of her apartment building and that he needed to use her restroom.

Because the woman’s apartment building does not have a public restroom on the ground floor, she allowed Ammi to use the bathroom in her apartment.

After Ammi finished using the restroom, the woman asked him to leave.

According to the lawsuit, Ammi refused and then raped her.

Weeks before the alleged rape, a St. Louis woman reported to Uber that Ammi had assaulted and injured her on Christmas Day.

The lawsuit states that an Uber representative spoke by phone with the St. Louis woman, who described that Ammi had beaten her with closed fists.

Prosecutors in St. Louis charged Ammi with assault in February.

In 1996, Ammi was convicted of first-degree attempted murder after he beat a 15-year-old boy with a 66-pound chunk of concrete, leaving him in a permanent vegetative state.

He served eight years of a 16-year sentence.



Welcome! Login in to your account

Remember me Lost your password?

Lost Password